Thursday, February 27, 2014

Bush Life Begins





I have been living in my community for almost two weeks, and am still adjusting to life in the bush.  Everything is still so new, and my Basseri language skills are not much beyond the obligatory salutations.  Basseri is the language of my village, so if I want to communicate with my neighbors with something more than a smile and a wave of the hand, I don’t really have a choice.  I am also learning Pular, as it is the language of the neighboring villages.  Not only am I trying to establish my own routine, but I also am trying to observe what habits and customs the community will be most amenable to change or improve.  Some of these changes are as simple as teaching my village a more humane way to kill a chicken, or getting my counterpart to help me extend a well next to a (currently) fallow garden.

Though I am still very much a new arrival in my village, I have already had a meeting with the “president” of the local groupements (somewhat similar to the business cooperative concept in the United States) and with the superintendent of the region’s school system.  The three of us spent a recent afternoon reviewing activities I should be focusing on in my first month. (I am still trying to figure out why the superintendent of the school system is interested in working with an Agroforestry extension PCV, but as long as he can help me with my projects, I’m glad to have him.)  In addition, I am not sure if this level of support or expectation is typical of the Peace Corps experience, but it can be a bit overwhelming.  We came up with a list of EIGHT projects I need to start in the next month.  And I thought the typical PCV only worked on one or two projects! Generally, the communities seem pretty excited that I am here and eager to lend my expertise and knowledge.  I’ve told them that I don’t have all the answers and will likely make many mistakes, but they keep looking at me as if I am some sort of magician!  Usually, volunteers don’t start any projects until they’ve been living in their communities for a few months, but I guess you have to consider the needs and the work cycle of each village.

Finally, if this isn’t enough for me to think about so quickly, unforeseen incidents “happen” in my village.  For example, the other night my counterpart (I will call him Robert) comes home from a trip to Koundara where he sold a sack of peanuts and tells me that 4 of his chickens died today after eating rodent poison that was in the grain storage hut.  His wife had discovered them after he had already left for town.  All livestock animals are highly valued in Guinea, as they are a source of either food for the family, or money from their sale at the market.  Robert was really upset with himself, as he valued the loss as equal to one adult sheep, which for the family, was not insignificant.  After having been informed of the deaths while in Koundara, Robert decides to buy a 3 month old kitten from a friend, wisely thinking that the cat will be a safer alternative than poison to control the mice/rat population.  Unfortunately, Robert makes the decision to transport the kitten in a woven grain sack for the journey back to the village.  At some point in his journey back home, the cat starts getting really anxious (or angry) and bites Robert through the feedbag.  This prompts Robert to jettison the grain sack by the side of the road, losing both the bag and the kitten. 

Upon hearing that Robert has been bitten by a potentially rabid animal, I try to explain to him the potential seriousness of his situation.  Since my French still is at an intermediate low level, I also enlist the help of the  Peace Corps’ regional coordinator in Boké to explain what rabies is and why Robert needs to be on guard for the next 10 days, (in addition to seeing a doctor.)

If this wasn’t enough to think about, Robert (and the rest of the family), decide to eat the poisoned chickens!  He assures me that he has done this (eat poisoned chickens) several times before, and that I have nothing to worry about.  (Yet he still keeps using poison rodent bait and losing chickens!)  Robert, being the culturally sensitive Guinean that he is, respects my decision not to eat any of the poisoned chicken meat.  However, he is open to other forms of rodent control that are more effective and safer than poison or freaked out kittens!

So if someone could send me some mice and rat traps, it would greatly be appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment